A blogger I follow, Sarah, is hosting “Wedding Week” at Sarah’s Brand New Chapter in honor of her first anniversary, and I am proud to be one of her guest bloggers! Head on over and see my guest post and check out some of her other wedding week entries. 🙂
So today is the first day of Year Two of my marriage to the Mister, and I’m pretty proud of the way the first year has gone. I don’t think we’ve had any big fights yet (beyond normal irritations) and he has learned to leave muddy shoes at the door, put his clothes in the laundry basket and catch the apartment door before it slams when entering AND LEAVING the house. So I consider it to have been a successful year. 🙂
Our anniversary itself, May 19, was a rather normal Sunday and uneventful as far as Sundays go. We actually celebrated on Saturday by going to see the new Star Trek movie in town and spending a lazy study-free, lab-free, other-people-free afternoon at home. We’d debated going out to eat somewhere, but since all nice restaurants here are priced in US dollars for American tourists (and are therefore, literally, three times as expensive in Eastern Caribbean Dollars) we opted not to do that. But I did cook the Mister’s favorite fish recipe in my tiny kitchenette, so that counts.
The second big thing (and actually the part of this post that I’m more excited about, lol) is that I have been nominated for a Liebster Blog Award by Sarah’s Brand New Chapter, a blog I read regularly. Sarah’s blog is a diary of sorts, but a funny one. She offers insightful comments on both the good and bad aspects of life, marriage, the working world and the constant challenge of learning to love yourself for who you are. You should definitely follow the link and give her page a look!
The Liebster Blogging Award is intended to bring attention to blogs with less than 200 followers (I currently have 190, documented in case that rises in the next short while). Each nominee must follow a set of rules in their announcement post and then nominate 11 other blogs which they feel deserve the same recognition. I’m not sure what the procedure is for a winner to actually be chosen, but regardless I am honored to have been nominated. This little blog has really become much more than I ever thought it would be, with more people interested in my stories than I ever expected, so this is a very, very cool moment.
Here are the rules:
1. Thank your Liebster Blog Award presenter on your blog and link back to the blogger who presented this award to you.
2. Answer the 11 questions from the nominator, list 11 random facts about yourself and create 11 questions for your nominees.
3. Present the Liebster Blog Award to 11 blogs of 200 followers or less who you feel deserve to be noticed and leave a comment on their blog letting them know they have been chosen. (No tag backs)
4. Copy and Paste the blog award on your blog
First, Sarah’s questions:
1. What got you started blogging in the first place? How long have you been blogging? I’ve had several failed blogs in the past, the first of which I think was a wordpress about myself and the seven girls I lived with in college and how we could have fun without being drunk or high all the time. Obviously, that never went anywhere. I started this blog as an exercise in column-writing, since that’s the only position I would want if I ever need to someday work for a newspaper. I enjoy writing in a conversational, humorous style and thought I might entertain friends and family with our newlywed antics. This blog started in February of 2012, even though we didn’t get married until May 19, 2012. I didn’t make the blog public until shortly after (or before. . . I don’t remember) the wedding.
2. Tell me what your ideal vacation would be like. Well it would not be to the beach, I’ll tell you that much. Although I have learned to enjoy the smooth, cool Caribbean sand and the sound of waves on the shore (which is kindof a necessity here). My ideal vacation would be somewhere beautiful and quiet, like up in the mountains, close to a larger town to explore and with a theme park and roller-coasters nearby. No idea where that would be. Lol!
3. Who are two famous people who are currently dead that you wish weren’t? Why? I actually have a list of dead people I would like to talk to. I guess if I had to pick two, I would say King Henry VIII and Abraham Lincoln. I pick Henry because I have a strange fascination with his life and his wives and the entire English monarchy from the War of the Roses to the present. I don’t know why, but I like to read historical books about them and learn about the family tree and the succession of the throne over the years. I puck Abraham because I am also fascinated with the American Civil War and the issues surrounding it, and I think it would be cool to talk to him about the choices he made and how he felt about them at the time, and maybe how he feels about them now.
4. I say, “Chocolate.” You say “_____________”? Please send me some!! Chocolate is hard to find here, and when you do find it it melts before you can get it home. 😦
5. Name at least one person who has made you who you are today. Wow that’s hard. My parents and family and best friends, obviously. My husband. A not so obvious one? The two girls who made my life miserable in the 5th and 6th grades. My heart will probably speed up every time I climb onto a school bus or walk into a crowded cafeteria for the rest of my life, but in retrospect, they did teach me a lot about standing up for myself.
6. What is your pick-me-up song after a bad day? Anything Disney (classic Disney; none of this new-age digital animation stuff)
7. If you were on death row and had a last meal request, what would it be? Haha! This makes me laugh because this answer is very different now than it would have been back home. Back home, it would have been something extravagant. Now, it’s really just a heaping plate from Cracker Barrel.
8. What is your favorite article of clothing? A comfortable hoodie
9. If you were President, what would be your first order of business? Get out the budget sheet (if it’s not in a neat spreadsheet I would have someone do that for me) and then start marking down all those things that aren’t necessary. Like congressional vacation perks, welfare for those who’ve not been looking for employment for more than four months, and food stamps for anyone who’s gone through a checkout line with a cart of food stamps and then pays cash for a cartload of beer.
10. “Party like it’s 1999!” What was going on in your life that year? I was nine. I think I was in the 4th grade and had just moved back from living in Panama. I spent almost every afternoon playing with Corey Gossett on our backyard swing set.
11. Who is your favorite Lord of the Rings character? (And if you haven’t seen it, go and do that ASAP, fool.) Ugh. Lord of the Rings. I watched those movies under duress and really wish I could get all those hours of my life back. (Sorry Sarah. . . )
11 Facts About Me
1. I hate making lists of facts about myself. Lol. But rules are rules, I suppose.
2. Sometimes I still wish I had gone to medical school and been a pediatrician like I originally wanted to.
3. When I’m angry, I have long conversations with the voices in my head, pretending they are other people and saying all the things I wish I could say and get away with. My husband thinks I’m crazy.
4. I am an introvert who has to struggle to be an extrovert when I job demands it. I like to be around people and be social, but after a few hours I get drained and just want to go home and be by myself.
5. I am somewhat addicted to Grey’s Anatomy, which I’m rewatching from the beginning on Netflix.
6. I hate washing dishes so much that I would almost live on disposable dishware.
7. I’m super excited about the very faint tan line on my shoulders. I’ve never had a tan before.
8. My first kiss was with my husband. Not necessarily on purpose, but it just worked out that way.
9. I love high heels and tennis shoes, but hate flats.
10. I’ve only recently come to terms with being barefoot. I still don’t like it much.
11. For some reason I’ve always liked the hecticness of hospitals and airports.
My Liebster Blogging Award Nominee
Veterinarianess — (Most of the blogs I follow have larger followings, and of the smaller blogs this is the only one I would nominate. She does a very good job chronicling life as a vet student and post-grad.)
11 Questions for my Nominee
1. How did you originally get started blogging?
2. If you could write a book on any topic or from any era, what would it be?
3. What is your favorite movie or genre and why?
4. Have you had any “eureka!” moments in your life and what were they about?
5. What’s the story behind the most meaningful object in your house?
6. If you could have lunch with any person, dead or alive, who would it be and why?
7. Do you have any hidden talents?
8. A client comes into your business and doubts your abilities because you are a woman. How do you respond?
9. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
10. Describe your favorite pair of shoes. What do you think they say about you?
11. Where do you see yourself in five years?